Monday, May 4, 2009

Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

The Kentucky Derby this past weekend had me thinking about big hats and mint juleps all last week. I've never made (or even tasted) mint juleps...but all that thinking about refreshing mint made me want it...and that's when I started wondering about making a Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcake.

These cupcakes are a basic devils food cake with chocolate chips and a splash (or two!) of creme de menthe! I also added some creme de menthe to the dark chocolate frosting (I added just a bit of peppermint extract as well to get the minty flavor I wanted without making my frosting too runny). I LOVED these cupcakes! And what is more, is my husband actually preferred these to his long-time favorite cookie dough cupcakes!

So while not exactly a mint julep...at least they were minty and boozy and a great treat for derby watching!

No comments: